Tuesday, March 19, 2013

greeña colada smoothie

Yep, that's "greeña" not "piña" colada. Would you believe me if I told you it tastes like the real deal (minus the rum, of course)? Actually, that gives me an idea! No, don't worry - I wouldn't dare diminish the health value of this smoothie by adding alcohol. Instead, I'll just listen to steel drums and envision that I have my toes in the sand while I drink it...

We've all seen and heard of these magic green smoothies. I find it's much easier to down a smoothie than to eat the ingredients separately - and it's easier for your body to digest because it's already mostly broken down by the blending process. They are full of pure nutrition, but the amount of vitamins you get depends on the fruits and veggies you use. Most fruits and veggies are high in vitamins A, C, & E. Green smoothies also provide an intake of alkalizing foods (to offset the acid) that helps restore the body to a balanced pH. There are thousands of different combos of fruits and veggies you can blend that will taste good; greeña colada is just one.

Note: it is very difficult to snap an appetizing photo of this drink. I have a greater respect for everyone out there who has successfully gotten a good one! I will keep trying, but until then, I will spare you.

Here is my favorite version of the greeña colada:
  • 1c frozen pineapple chunks
  • 1c coconut water
  • 1 or 2 handfuls of spinach
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • 1 banana
  • 3 ice cubes
Blend ingredients until smooth and creamy. Add water if it's too thick or add ice if you want it thicker. 

Enjoy and picture yourself drinking it here...

No comments:

Post a Comment